Stop whatever you’re doing and make this now:
1 gallon apple cider
2/3 cup real maple syrup
5 cinnamon sticks
16 whole cloves
16 whole allspice berries
1 orange peel, torn into pieces
1 lemon peel, torn into pieces
1. Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into a large slow cooker.
2. Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel and lemon peel in a square of cheesecloth; fold up the sides to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with a length of kitchen twine.
3. Drop the spice bundle into the cider mixture. Put the lid on the slow cooker and leave the end of the twine out of the pot so you can move the spices to disperse the flavor without opening the lid.
4. Cook on high for 4(ish) hours. Periodically reposition the spice packet to allow the flavor to disperse. If the cider begins to boil turn the slow cooker down to low.
5. Drink up! If desired garnish with a fresh cinnamon stick. For an extra kick add a splash of spiced rum!