I am a winter girl. I love rosy cheeks, cold noses, mittens, scarves, hot chocolate, and cute boots. One of my favorite things about winter is that our bird feeders get a lot of extra traffic. We put out suet cake to attract woodpeckers (they obviously prefer the peanut flavor), and we have a wire bird feeder (similar to this) filled with black oil sunflower seeds. The wire feeder lets squirrels eat too but is chew proof so they can’t gnaw a big hole and empty the feeder. Even our friendly backyard raccoon hasn’t been able to destroy it, in spite of trying!
Maybe one day I’ll have an awesome zoom lens so I can photograph them myself, but until then here are a few of the species that frequent our bird buffet.
Who lives in your backyard?
1. black capped chickadee photograph by tinyfishy
2. red bellied woodpecker photograph by scooter_72
3. cardinal photograph by redow
4. white breasted nuthatch photograph by vzonabaxter
5. northern flicker photograph by janlyall
6. blue bird photograph by mimbrava
7. carolina wren photograph by bahketni
8. mourning dove photograph by R Hanson
9. downy woodpecker photograph by flipkeat
10. titmouse photograph by Tampen
11. blue jay photograph by Modest and Jill
12. pileated woodpecker photograph by amaw